Digital Text

The Caladrius and its Legend, Sculptured Upon the Twelfth-Century Doorway of Alne Church, Yorkshire

By George C. Druce, F.S.A.

Archaeological Journal (Royal Archaeological Institute of London), Volume 69, 1912, Pages 381-416

Available Text Formats

Full edition (1.83 MB PDF file)

About this Text

This article is nominally about the sculpture of Alne Church, but in fact is an extensive exploration of the caladrius legend. Druce uses the sculpture as the starting pointing, then traces the history of the Caladrius legend back though the Middle Ages and into Antiquity. The sources and history of the legend occupy the bulk of the article, which also includes discussions of the treatment of the caladrius in several medieval manuscripts. The article includes ten black & white images, eight of them illustrations from manuscripts. The digitized images have been enhanced to bring out what detail they contain; their content has not been edited.

Copyright

The print edition of this text was published in London in 1912; the digital edition was created from the original in 2003 (with corrections in 2004) by David Badke. The original print edition by George C. Druce is believed to be in the public domain.